Every year, 2 million people get affected by vector-borne diseases in India. Out of that, 56% are children aged between 5 and 14. Although the nation witnessed rapid urbanization health awareness is still low. People continue to consume contaminated water even in the metropolis, let alone the rural and semi-urban areas. Even though several awareness campaigns from the WHO and the Government of India have been conducted, a lot is yet to be done to uplift this alarming situation.
Furthermore, with millions getting affected – thousands face mortality from lack of treatment and financial constraints to carry one. Hence, availing monsoon cover for your family helps you to get the necessary financial assistance in times of medical emergencies.
What are the various vector-borne diseases?
Some of the predominant diseases plaguing India are –
- Viral gastroenteritis
- E-Coli infection
These infectious diseases occur from pathogenic bacteria or protozoa due to water contamination in monsoons, mostly despite the stringent water monitoring and regulations. Therefore, you must be aware of the ways to keep yourself protected apart from getting a monsoon diseases insurance policy. You can consider availing a Monsoon InsurancePolicy under the Pocket Insurance scheme offered by Bajaj Finserv. It covers all the medical expenses for15 days’ pre and post hospitalisation.
How to protect yourself against these diseases?
Here are the essential ways to protect against water-borne diseases:
- Never consume water from water sources you are unaware of and also avoid exposing the lining of your nose and mouth. Furthermore, ensure that any cuts or abrasions on your body do not get in contact with the contaminated water.
However, if contamination does occur, rush for immediate medical help. A Waterborne Disease Cover under the Pocket Insurance schemes offered by Bajaj Finserv covers the:
- Diagnostic test expenses
- Doctor’s fees expense
- Expenses for various medication and treatments
- If you are traveling to places which have a high risk of such ailments, get monsoon accident cover policy that gives coverage to all monsoon-related injuries. Furthermore, carry water purification equipment to remove potentially dangerous contaminants like pathogenic bacteria. You can consider purchasing gravity water filter or water disinfection kit to areas which have no access to proper drinking water.
- You can also install high-performance water filters in your household after checking your tap water for the type of contaminants. The ultra-violet rays eradicate bacteria and make water fit for consumption. Moreover, change the water filter systems after 3-5 years or as per the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Especially in Indian monsoons, the vector-borne diseases cause the most fatalities. Around 35% of the available groundwater gets contaminated leading to severe infections. The infections not only claim the lives of the affected but also drain the financial savings of their families from expensive treatments.
In India, municipal water suppliers are instructed to meet strict water-safety regulations. However, it is not possible for eliminating all micro-organisms from chlorination or other traditional methods. Moreover, water contamination can also occur from old or leakage in water pipes, seepage, malfunctioning water filters, etc. leading to vector-borne diseases.
Following these tips and getting monsoon coverage for your family keeps you safe and free from worries.